American National Insurance Company and its subsidiaries and affiliates (collectively, “American National,” “we”, “us”, or “our”) offer customers the option to obtain certain policy documents by electronic means through our Paperless Program (“Paperless Program”). If you wish to obtain your policy documents in this manner, please carefully review and consent to the terms of the Paperless Program listed below. This Paperless Program Agreement (the “Agreement”) is a legally binding agreement between you and the American National company with which you transact business. Please print or electronically save a copy of this Agreement to retain for your records.
Your Consent to Receiving Eligible Documents Electronically
By enrolling in the Paperless Program, you are electronically consenting to receiving the following policy documents electronically through your American National online account rather than in paper form through personal delivery or the U.S. Mail:
- All current and future policies and any policy documents such as applications and application materials, amendments, endorsements, disclosures, reports, statements, correspondence, and notices of cancellation or nonrenewal;
- Billing documents such as bills, billing statements, payment schedules, and any other correspondence related to premium payments; and
- Any other documents related to your policies with us as permitted or required by law (collectively, “Eligible Documents”).
You may only enroll in the Paperless Program for the policies that are eligible for inclusion in the Paperless Program (“Eligible Policies”). Your consent to receive the Eligible Documents electronically applies to all Eligible Policies that you enroll in the Paperless Program and will continue to apply after a modification or renewal or until you withdraw your consent. After initially enrolling in the Paperless Program, your consent will apply to all future Eligible Policies you purchase from us unless you withdraw your consent to participate in the Paperless Program. We reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to provide a paper (instead of an electronic) copy of any Eligible Documents that you authorized us to provide electronically.
Eligible Documents may not be available online indefinitely. Please save them to your computer or print them to retain copies for your records.
Your Right to Obtain Paper Copies
You can obtain paper copies of the Eligible Documents by printing a paper copy yourself or by requesting that we mail you a paper copy. To request a paper copy, contact your agent or us at 1-800-899-6519 or ServiceCenter@AmericanNational.com. There is no charge associated with requesting a paper copy of an Eligible Document. Your request for a paper copy will not revoke your consent to receive Eligible Documents electronically.
Your Contact Information
When the Eligible Documents are posted to your online account, we will send an electronic notification to the e-mail address that we have on file for you. It is your responsibility to provide a valid email address. You should be diligent in updating your email address to ensure that you receive these electronic notifications. Emails returned as undeliverable may result in the suspension of your Paperless Program preferences and the mailing of the Eligible Documents to you by U.S. mail.
For Eligible Policies with multiple owners or named insureds, only one owner’s or named insured’s authorization is required to enroll in the Paperless Program. The email address of record will be the only email address that receives electronic notification when the Eligible Documents are posted. The person who receives this electronic notification must have the authority to receive the Eligible Documents on behalf of all owners or named insureds on the policy.
Hardware and Software Requirements
In order to receive, access, view, and retain the Eligible Documents, you must have a valid email address and access to the hardware and software described below.
- A computer or other access device, such as a smartphone, which is capable of accessing the Internet;
- Software which permits you to access Portable Document Format or (“PDF”) files. You can get the needed Adobe software by download at no cost at http://get.adobe.com/reader/;
- A current version of an operating system that supports the requirements above
- The ability to download or print the Eligible Documents
Your consent confirms that you have the required hardware and software listed above, including an active email account. We will update you if there are any material changes to the hardware and software requirements that could impact your receipt of the Eligible Documents.
There is no charge from us to participate in the Paperless Program, but, there may be costs associated with electronic access to Eligible Documents, such as charges from internet service providers or telephone companies. These costs are your responsibility.
Your Right to Withdraw Consent
You may update your Paperless Program preferences on your American National online account. Updating your Paperless Program preferences does not revoke your consent to receive Eligible Documents electronically for the Eligible Policies which you have not expressly revoked consent to receive electronically. You may withdraw your consent to participate in the Paperless Program by updating your Paperless Program preferences online, contacting your agent, or contacting us at 1-800-899-6519 or ServiceCenter@AmericanNational.com.
Modifications to this Agreement
We reserve the right to modify or discontinue the services covered by this Agreement or modify the terms of this Agreement at any time and for any reason. We will notify you of material changes to this Agreement by either sending an electronic notice to the email address on file, mailing a notice by U.S. Mail, or by posting a notice on our website. You can return to our website periodically to review the most current version of this Agreement.
You are using your electronic signature when you select the checkbox indicating your consent to this Agreement and save your Paperless Program preferences. Electronic signatures have the same force and effect as your written signature.
BY CONSENTING TO THIS AGREEMENT, I AGREE TO RECEIVE ALL ELIGIBLE DOCUMENTS ELECTRONICALLY IN LIEU OF RECEIVING PAPER DOCUMENTS. I UNDERSTAND AND ACKNOWLEDGE THAT SUCH DOCUMENTS MAY INCLUDE CANCELLATION OR NONRENEWAL NOTICES.
YOU FURTHER AGREE:
- To the terms and conditions in this Agreement;
- That we have full authorization from you to rely and act upon the Paperless Program preferences selected by you without further inquiry;
- That the Eligible Documents delivered pursuant to the Paperless Program shall have the same meaning and effect as if you were provided a paper document, whether or not you view the document(s);
- That the Eligible Documents are considered received by you when we send you the electronic notification to the email address you provided and post the Eligible Documents to your online account;
- With respect to electronic billing documents, delays experienced due to the use of this service will not change any payment due date or the potential imposition of late fees. If you do not receive an anticipated electronic notification, you should contact your agent or a customer service representative;
- If any provision of this Agreement shall be proven unenforceable under any law or regulation, it shall not affect the validity or enforceability of any other provision of this Agreement; and
- This Agreement and any dispute arising from this Agreement, or the subject matter hereof, shall be governed by the laws of the State of Texas.
 American National is a group of companies writing a broad array of insurance products and services and operating in all 50 states. The parent company, American National Insurance Company, was founded in 1905 and is headquartered in Galveston, Texas. In New York, business is written through Farm Family Casualty Insurance Company, United Farm Family Insurance Company, and American National Life Insurance Company of New York, Glenmont, New York. Property and casualty insurance is written through American National Property And Casualty Company, Springfield, Missouri, and its subsidiaries and affiliates. Not all products and services are available in all states. Not all companies are licensed in all states. Each company has financial responsibility only for its own products and services and is not responsible for the products and services provided by the other companies.